Tuesday, December 23, 2008

christmas star light.

I'll bet baby Jesus was cold. December nights and mornings are cold
in Africa. This morning I found myself huddled around a tiny
metal-wired whicker basket with a girl named Grace. Inside the
basket are about 6 really hot coals that just send out this circle of
heat. We kind of create a circle with our bodies around this and
trap all the heat between the two of us.
I think about Joseph leading Mary on their donkey (that must have
been a very uncomfortable ride) and just knowing that the birthing
pains were happening and Mary needed to get somewhere where she could
have the baby....and quick! A mother came in the other day to have
her baby and there just wasn't time. She delivered right in the
ER. The garbage can was placed under her to catch all the fluids.
The baby came out screaming like he'd been breathing air all nine
months in there. I got to run the wet little bundle over to the
Maternity ward where we could rub him up, tie off his umbilical cord,
put some cream in his eyes, and take all his measurements. Birthing
can happen so fast. I'll bet Joseph was a little
panicked. Another man came in with his wife and for some reason
didn't go to the ER but came to the Medicine ward where I was
working. He said, "Please mam, my wife is about to give birth,"
and he motioned to his wife who was round-bellied. The maternity
ward room was locked and so we laid her down on a bed. I think
because I don't exactly know a ton about births and I don't exactly
have ANY training in midwifery, I always think the baby is going to
come in the next 3 minutes after they arrive at the hospital and I
hurry around, calling the midwife, finding the key and getting the
things ready....then the baby won't come for like another 6
hours. :) The husband was so worried about his wife. Sweet. She
delivered a few hours later just fine. A curly headed little boy.
Mary had to have been scared. This was her first baby! First
births are hard. I'll bet it was painful and I'll bet she wondered,
"Why in the world did I say yes to that angel!".
The neat thing about Christmas is that whatever the details of the
story, Jesus changed His world, and continues to change it
today. What crazy story for us nowadays...bit people are still
giving birth in mud huts here in Africa. Mothers still arrive at
this hospital on donkeys asking for a place to have their baby.
So here at Christmas I want to say Happy Holidays. Thanks so much
to everyone who sent things for the kids and families here in
Bere. Especially to my mom who sent a Santa suit! :) Tomorrow
morning my plan is to have our mango tree all decked out with paper
snowflakes and presents under it. Then I'll come in dressed in the
suit. I think the kids will cry. Some of them haven't ever seen a
Santa. I'll have a little explaining to do. hehe! Seriously, the
notes and emails I get from you guys sometimes are JUST what I need
for encouragement to keep sinking in here where I'm at. You have no
idea what they mean. Love you all and Merry Christmas. Love, Emily Star.

2 comments:

Thrushsong said...

Emily, Thanks for taking time to write about your experiences. Thank you for taking care of Ansley when she was sick.

girlwithmoxy said...

I loved your story picture. It always bothered me that Jesus was so caucasian looking in old pictures, and I like imagining him in a warmer country, cool in the night air. I love reading your blogs so much because when I read, it makes me feel for a few minutes that I get to be a missionary and "live" there in a small way. Thanks for giving so much of yourself to the world of needs there! Blessings in the new year to all of you!