Thursday, January 1, 2009

driving fast in the fog.

Yikes! Stephan, Ansley and I RACED the horses
tonight. It was the EXACT same feeling that I
have when I drive in the fog. We have a hilly
road called Willow Springs and when it's foggy
and I'm coming home, sometimes I just let go. I
drive the normal speed limit because if something
runs out…I'm hitting it anyway. I know you're
all probably thinking…that's stupid Emily. I've
only done it a couple times…don't worry. It's like a risky, edgy feeling.
The SAME thing with this horse. We
were flying. I can hold the reigns tight but
tonight I just let them go! It was
beautiful! The only thing is that the horse I
was riding is really scared…of everything! He
jumps to the side all the time and you never know
when he'll do it. So you have to be ready!
It was so fun though to let them
fully run! I honestly felt like I was pushing
my luck though. Falling off at those speeds
would really hurt. J We came to a grove of trees
and the sun went down. So we turned around. We
got home and unsaddled the horses and I went home.
When I got home, Jolie was just
going to see her sister. I said, "I'm just a bit
hungry Jolie, is there any food?" She said that
they had saved me some. Cecil, the daughter in
law of Samedi, brought me boulle and peanut
sauce. I sat down in the pitch black with just
a fiery red bit of coals burning. I looked up
and the STARS were BRIGHT!!! Little Galas…the
new baby in our house…started crying. I picked
him up and tried to rock him back to sleep. But
he was hungry and just kept crying. So then I
started singing. I made up a bunch of my own
lullabies. No, you guys will never hear them…I
only made up songs because no one could
understand my English. Galas stopped crying and
I just had this moment…like….Emily! Do you
realize what you are doing. You are singing
lullabies to an African baby outside his hut by
the light of a coal fire. These are the moments
I'm living for here because there are other moments when I just miss home.

No comments: