Sunday, November 23, 2008

Fw: ouch. hum-dee-dum. i'm tough

 
OUCH.  HUM-DEE-DUM.  I'M TOUGH

When I change dressings on people's wounds I often make this
face.....I wish you could have seen what face I just made...but it's
like kind of my eyes tense up and my forehead gets real wrinkled.  I
just know that bleach water in a cut has got to feel just awful.  But
I also know that the pain they feel is the road to a healed foot, an
abdomen that can carry another baby, or a closed up lung that can
actually hold air again.   There is a song by Relient K that says,
"the end will justify the pain it took to get us there."  But still,
when I stuff stinging gauze into a two inch deep hole in the side of
someone's leg I can't always stop my face from taking this
shape.  Wow, these people are tough though.   The other day we were
waiting for a premi baby to be born and taking guesses on how big it
would be, when all of a sudden, the baby came shooting out and lay
right there on the table.  I grabbed it and took it over where we
could clean it up (it was already screaming loud.)  The mother hadn't
even made a sound when she delivered the baby!  I think I am getting
a false impression of just how painful child-birth is.   In reality
it's probably not as easy as they are making me think it is.  I
thought I was tough.  These people put me to shame.  

No comments: