Sunday, November 9, 2008

Paths To Where I Am

Paths To Where I Am
-dropped off at airport.
-plugged computer in by miss makeup artist.

-got onto plane. Sat by the makeup artist.

-got a little fire for following dreams from her.

-talked about babies in China and her lip gloss line that she created.

-she gave me her card and said to contact her for help with money or
supplies in chad. >>
-Got off plane and had 6 hours before next flight.

-Asked a lady where transportation was.

-40 dollars for a taxi! Can't do that.

-Sweet funny lady said to go take a free airport shuttle and not tell them I wasn't staying at their hotel.

-Met Scotty the Comfort Inn shuttle driver.

-Begged for a ride. J

-Woman over heard I was going to Africa.

-Came and slipped me a twenty

-Rode with flight crew who laughed an awful lot at what I was doing J

-Got to the Comfort Inn and then walked over to the Safeway…then to
Wallgreens.

-Tripped real hard on the sidewalk right in front of traffic. Backpack threw me down. Humbling.

-Wallgreens photo shop boy is late…never comes.

-Walk to Panera. Eat a Salad and write home.
-Head back to Hotel.

-Ask them when the next shuttle is coming.

-Then Deb. From the flight crew. Comes down and hangs out with me.

-I get her email and we'll stay in touch.

-I go ask the new shuttle man to ask when his next run is going.

-He says. I'll take you now.

-I feel guilty about being the only one for his whole shuttle trip and he
doesn't even know that I am not staying at his hotel!

-So I tell him.

-He says it's fine that he doesn't have anything else to do. J

-People are so GOOD!

-He answers a call from his little daughter and says he has to take her
calls because she gets mad when he doesn't pick up. J Fatherly duties.

-Get back to airport.

-Stand in line with wonderful Ethiopian people!

-Talk to one boy and hear his dreams for being able to help people.
-Awesome.

-Cool girl who helps me figure out how to make my baggage come through.

-Go and meet Allison!

-Call Alex. His phone is dying! We are twins.

-Allison and I eat Pizza with our 15 dollar vouchers.

-Wait. Wait. Wait.

-Ansley gets there along with Jonah (sweetest boy), Mark, and Trudy. Such sweet people.

-Jonah shares all his toys with me.

-2 a.m. Get on plane. Allison gives me Ambien.

-Sleep all night. Really sleep. So nice.

-Wake up a few times.

-Man who I sit by is going to do food distribution in Ethiopia!

-Get up from my seat ONCE the whole 15 hour trip. I was so tired.

-Play heads or tails with Jonah and Tina (little Ethiopian girl)

-Land.

-Stand in three lines to get a hotel voucher. We've missed our connecting flight to Chad

-Get put up in a super nice hotel with free meals at restaurant in Addis.

-Chat with Adrienne and Alex on Gmail.

-Ask to stay in one room together. Get funny looks and people say, "Why
wouldn't you want your own rooms?" Anlsey resoponds, "We're Friends!"

-Love Ansley.

-Sleep on ROCK solid beds. Hehe

-Sleep All night.

-Get up and eat an Ethiopian breakfast.

-Head into town.

-Walk in and are flooded with help to get some passport pictures.

-PEOPLE are so GOOD!

-Took a taxi to the National Museum…saw funny things.

-Taxi Driver….CRAZY driver….no seatbelts.

-I asked him to drive safe. J

-Saw Zoo and Lions.

-Children begging.

-So many lame and hurt people.

-Naked babies.

-Hands so mangled they are just nubs for fingers.

-Housing so sad.

-Sad faces.

-People dragging themselves across the street with just arms. Legs don't work.

-Think.

-Taxi Drives us all around town.

-Come back to hotel and eat wonderful lunch.

-Come back to our room.

-Start watching a movie.

-Fall asleep for a nap.

-Wake up at 7 pm!!!

-Now I write to you all
-Flying out of Addis at 10 tomorrow morning.
-Will arrive in Chad.
-Will take 10 hour bus ride.
-Will take a 60 kilometer MOPED ride...with luggage...through the rains.
-Will settle into new home.

No comments: